Monday, July 25, 2005

All hail Lance; glad it's over

All hail Lance Armstrong who can ride a specialized bicycle through France better than anyone in the summertime. At least for the last seven years.
I do not discount his courage for fighting and apparently beating cancer. I do not discount his athletic achievement in the face of all those who tried repeatedly to knock him down (figuratively and literally). I do not discount his sport, although it is one of those niche things you either like or dislike.
But, frankly, I'm glad it's over. I'm glad I won't have to hear how many minutes and seconds Lance leads by and pretend that I care. It's not a sport I give a hoot about and judging by any other three weeks period of the year, neither do most Americans. Bicycle riding is an activity to them, not a cutthroat sport.
Next year, no one in the U.S. will give a hoot about thde Tour de France because for the very reason they paid attetnion for the last six years - Lance Armstrong. He won't be there and no American will care if some Euro is battling for the yellow jersey. By the way, did you know they give away all sorts of colored jerseys at the end ... for this and that like Rookie of the Year, Cy Young and Batting Champ. Why yellow, often a sign of cowardice, is considered supreme is beyond me.
Now Lance can be what I want to be - young, rich, a man of leisure, retired and banging a rock star goddess, even if she is 10 years older than he. God what a life!!!!!

No comments: