Monday, November 21, 2011

My new hero

My new hero is Rice University professor, and noted historian, Dr. Douglas Brinkley, who stood up to the rudest kind of behavior and attitude in Congress during a relatively minor hearing on drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. When he was disrespected by Alaska Republican Don Young (one of those entrenched Congressmen the Tea Party hates in theory, but supports in practice), Brinkley didn’t bat an eye:
It starts when Young called Brinkley “Dr. Rice.” (whether it was a mistake remains to be seen)…
“It’s Dr. Brinkley, Rice University is a university,” Brinkley responded. “I know you went to Yuba (Community) College … ”
An angry Young then said, “I’ll call you anything I want to call you when you in that chair. You just be quiet.”
Brinkley didn’t bat an eye.
“You don’t own me,” he said. “I pay your salary. I work for the private sector and you work for the taxpayer.”
At that moment, Committee Chairman Doc Hasting (R-Wash.) broke up the heated argument.
Brinkley, a history professor at Rice (one of the nation’s most prestigious schools), wrote "The Quiet World," about protecting the Alaskan wilderness. He also penned a guest column for The New York Times seeking to protect the land surrounding Arizona's Grand Canyon.
Go to the 31-minute mark to see the exchange.

No comments: