Thursday, December 29, 2005

Some memorable blog quotes of 2005

Just a few gems from my blog in terms of quotes from 2005:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry: “The idea that we’re not going to have any gambling in Texas, I think, is a fairy tale. You’ve got a substantial amount in this state. There’s probably a lot of gambling going on the golf course right now.”
– April 2005

U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas): “I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters on some occasions where judges are making political decisions yet are unaccountable to the public, that it builds up and builds up to the point where some engage in violence.” When public reaction proved to be negative, Cornyn forward this gem: “I guess the other lesson I learned was not to wonder aloud on the Senate floor.”
– April 2005

From May 2005 on Jennifer Wilbanks disappearance, courtesy of Fon News Channel programming:
Bill O’Reilly: “Woman goes out for a jog and boom, she’s gone. Do you think there’s an epidemic going on here?” And: “This young woman – it’s almost like Laci Peterson. She just disappears from a place that’s Mainstream, USA.”
Sean Hannity: “I agree with the father-in-law-to-be.”
Geraldo Rivera: “That there’s foul play.”
Hannity: “Yes.”
Rivera: “So do I.”
--May 2005

Rev. Rod Parsley of the World Harvest Church at a gathering of Patriot Pastors: “We’re not Democrats; we’re not Republicans’ we’re Christocrats.”
-- May 2005

Saddest quote of the year: Patrick Tillman Sr. after the reports disputed the original story of how his son, Pat, died in Afghanistan: “After it happened, all the people in positions of authority went out of their way to script this. They purposely interfered with the investigation, they covered it up. I think they thought they could control it, and they realized that their recruiting efforts were going to go to hell in a handbasket if the truth about his death got out. They blew up their poster boy.

“Maybe lying’s not a big deal anymore. Pat’s dead, and this isn’t going to bring him back. But these guys should have been held up to scrutiny, right up the chain of command, and no one has.”
--May 2005

Idiotic political quote of the year: Pat Robertson, host of the 700 Club: “I’d like to say to the good citizens of Dover (Pennsylvania): if there is a disaster in your area, don’t turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city. And don’t wonder why He hasn’t helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I’m not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that’s the case, don’t ask for His help because he might not be there.”
--November 2005

Former FEMA director Michael Brown: "If you'll look at my lovely FEMA attire you'll really vomit. I am a fashion god… Anything specific I need to do or tweak? Do you know of anyone who dog-sits? … Can I quit now? Can I come home? … I'm trapped now, please rescue me."
--September 2005

U.S. Senator Bill Frist on Terri Schiavo's condition: "I question it based on a review of the video footage which I spent an hour or so looking at last night in my office. She certainly seems to respond to visual stimuli."
-- March 2005

And the winner from the all-time misquote champion, President Bush: "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." to FEMA director Michael Brown.
-- September 2005

No comments: