Hello, boys and girls. It’s time to play “Guess who said what?”
Here are today’s quotes and you need to guess … who said what?
1) “You can support the troops, but not the president.”
2) “Well, I just think it’s a bad idea. What’s going to happen is they’re going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years?”
3) “Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?”
4) “[The] President … is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation’s armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy.”
5) “American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy.”
6) “If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy.”
7) “I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning ... I didn’t think we had done enough in the diplomatic area.”
8) “I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today.”
9) “Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.”
OK, who said what? Here are the answers:
From the mouth for former GOP House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) were uttered quotes 1, 5 and 8.
Quote number 2 was said by then-Republican congressman Joe Scarborough, now a host of his own cable TV talk show on MSNBC.
The third quote was said by Sean Hannity, on his Fox News Channel talk show.
Number 4 was said by Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Penn.), who is seen by some as a possible Republican presidential nominee in 2008.
Number 6 was said by Karen Hughes, when she was working for then Gov. George W. Bush and who is now part of the U.S. State Department and a key Bush strategist.
Number 7 was spoken by former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.).
Number 9 was George W. Bush, when he was governor of Texas.
All quotes were made during the Clinton Administration when he formally committed troops to Bosnia.
Hypocrisy anyone?? Interesting when the shoe is on the other foot, no?
And that’s who said what!