Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Let’s NOT go out to the ballgame

Last night (Monday, May 5), I officially became a grouchy old man and curmudgeon. I also became someone I thought I’d never be – a casual in-person baseball fan.
Although I consider myself to be the biggest (in theory and in size) baseball an alive, I was stuck at the Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas (a snobbish suburb of Dallas) to see one of the worst exhibitions of the Great Game ever in my life. It was SOOOOOOOO bad, I left after 5 innings and I’ve never left a game before it was concluded. I barely made it past the first five innings between the Class AA Frisco RoughRiders and Midland Rock Hounds. The first five innings took more than 2 1/2 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw slow, bad pitching (making pitching changes in the fifth inning with 8-1 leads and two outs is stupid), horrible fielding by Midland (worst than I’ve seen from a little league team and even my I-could-care-less-about baseball wife noticed the incompetence) and the most listless crowd in my life. They only came to life when the damn mascot (who had frankly worn out his rug and welcome) throw free T-shirts into the crowd or when a foul ball was hit so all these brat kids could get something for free. These brats come from $250,000 homes and all they want to something for nothing. Like their parents.
It will be my last visit there. Besides at $19 a ticket (for the good seats and $13 for the seats down the outfield lines), it is the most expensive, and overpriced, ticket in ALL of minor league baseball (typical of Rangers/RoughRiders Tom Hicks). It’s simply not worth the price of admission.
Add to that the ridiculous price of ballpark food at this joint (a $9 “special” is a limp hamburger, fries and a watered-down drink) plus $5 to park, and for a family of four, you’re looking at a cost of more than $130 (at least $100 to say the very least). And you are seeing AA crap-ass baseball. At least on the AAA level, there are former major leaguers trying to claw their way back to The Show and others on the brink of entering the big leagues.
In Texas, Corpus Christi, home of the AA Hooks, offer a better show for the cheaper price at a better ballpark (Whataburger Field), and the crowd actually CARES about the game – not the surrounding shit.
I can no longer stand to be around “tweeners” – those brats in the sixth grade age group squids, who refuse to listen to adults and think it is OK to do whatever the fuck they want in public because Mommy and Daddy think it’s fine to dump their irresponsibility on others.
When you asked these deadheads to find their own seats, instead of hovering around me, they drew the typical “Children of the Corn” visage and just stood there like they were shocked to even be questioned about their behavior. What made the situation worse was the so-called “security”/usher man who stood stiffer than a statue and allowed such bothersome behavior to continue without saying a word. If this is “family atmosphere,” I’d rather be alone.
It is the reason I will NEVER go back to Frisco’s Dr Pepper Ballpark or to movies. These suburban over-privileged brats are obnoxious and their turd head parents are to blame. They don’t know how to behave in public and I am just too fucking old to put up with it. I don’t need to; since there is more of them than me, I will choose NOT to patronize those establishment where their two-legged fire ants gather.
Our tickets, by the way, were free through a sponsoring hospital. That was how much the entire experience was worth.
Nothing.

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Actually I like baseball when it is interesting and not cold. Last night the game was boring, we were too far away to see it well and I was very cold. JZ