Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Top 10 historical events in MY lifetime

At my age (56), I was thinking that Tuesday's election of Barack Obama as the first African-American president of the U.S. was truly history in the making.
But where would it rank in my mind about my lifetime?
So here is my top 10 list of all -time historical events sicne I was born in 1952 (it won't include Vietnam or the San Francisco earthquake or living through a tornado in Texas in 1994):
10) Hurricane Katrina (changed everything about this nation's most special city and exposed the depth of our nation's governmental insincerity toward its own citizenry)
9) Death of John Lennon (you might this strange but it affected an entire generation more than people realize)
8) Assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert F. Kennedy in 1968 (the entire year was bad; these things were the worst - no one knows what our nation would have been had RFK lived and been elected president which he WOULD have)
7) Challenger explosion (I watched it live and it stopped any serious advancement in our space program, whcih has seriously hampered our development and education in math and science)
6) Obama's election (this could, hopefully, change the politics and face of America ...for the better)
5) Assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963 (the total end of innocence in the United States - nothing else was EVER the same)
4) 1967 Detroit race riots (so profound to me, it changed everything, for the worse, about the city in which I was born and raised)
3) Nixon resignation (the biggest scandal in my lifetime and the worst, most divisive political chapter of pour nation)
2) Sept. 11, 2001 (the second loss of innocence, and subsequent loss of liberty, humanity and spirit in the U.S.; we stopped being the beacon of hope and became the isolated revengers)
1) American sets foot on the moon (for the first time, mankind left and then touch another surface; NO achievement has ever equaled this in MY lifetime).

No comments: