Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Introducing Imusisms

I am now officially coining a new phrase for the political and social lexicon – Imusisms. In honor of the dismissed radio shock jock Don Imus, who just didn’t know when to shut up, I am creating a category for all those idiotic statements that inadvertently insult people, when it would have been best to close their yap and say nothing at all.
Hence, an Imusism.
The first entry goes to former Wisconsin governor-Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson, who is also running a darkhorse Republican campaign for President.
According to Political Wire, Thompson told a group of Jewish activists that making money is “part of the Jewish tradition,” and something that he applauded, as reported by Haaretz.
“I’m in the private sector and for the first time in my life I’m earning money. You know that’s sort of part of the Jewish tradition and I do not find anything wrong with that.”
After causing “a stir in the audience,” Thompson only made matters worse by trying to apologize.
I just want to clarify something because I didn’t [by] any means want to infer or imply anything about Jews and finances and things. What I was referring to, ladies and gentlemen, is the accomplishments of the Jewish religion. You’ve been outstanding business people and I compliment you for that.”

Gosh, I must be the poorest Jew I know since I have no innate ability to make money, unlike, apparently, all my brethren. But we must all be like Fagen, right? We’re the moneychangers.
Why, oh why, do people verbalize such stupid stereotypes and why do they seem to run for political office so often?
Thank you, Tommy Thompson, for providing the first Imusism. I’m sure there will be MORE to come. If it catches on, I want ALL the credit.

No comments: